Break in Action
1. Pictured here are banners from the Superdome. Which team did the Saints beat to win the NFC championship and then the world’s championship?
A. Minnesota Vikings/Indianapolis Colts
B. Atlanta Falcons/Indianapolis Colts
C. Chicago Bears/New England Patriots
D. Atlanta Falcons/Denver Broncos
2. In 1994 and 1995 Shreveport had a professional football team. What league did it play in?
A. National Football League
B. American Football League
C. Canadian Football League
D. International Football League
3. What was the name of Shreveport’s team?
A. The Captains
B. The Steamboaters
C. The Gamblers
D. The Pirates
4. Billy Cannon’s 1959 Heisman trophy is on display where?
A. The Cabildo in New Orleans
B. Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge
C. The Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame in Natchitoches
D. TJ Ribs in Baton Rouge
5. Louisiana native Jake Delhomme quarterbacked the Carolina Panthers in the 2004 Superbowl. What town is he from?
A. New Iberia
B. Breaux Bridge
6. Your friend has leased space outside the Superdome in New Orleans to sell merchandise before Tulane home football games this season. While you wish him well, what is the flaw to his plan?
A. It is illegal to sell items outside the Superdome.
B. There is construction work outside.
C. Similar items are sold inside the dome.
D. Tulane has moved to a new on-campus stadium
7. Who was the last Louisiana born Quarterback to win a Superbowl?
A. Eli Manning
B. Peyton Manning
C. Bobby Hebert
D. Terry Bradshaw
8. This former LSU Quarterback was later elected mayor of Baton Rouge,
A. Warren Rabb
B. Pat Screen
C. Jordan Jefferson
D. Matt Mauck
9. Which team won the very first Sugar Bowl played Jan. 1, 1935?
D. Notre Dame
10. In 2013, these two teams won the Louisiana High School football state championships in the 5A and 4A divisions respectively.
A. West Monroe/Istrouma
B. Acadiana/East Jefferson
Answer this BONUS QUESTION and be eligible to win an overnight stay for two at the luxurious PARAGON CASINO RESORT:
Name the members of Louisiana’s congressional delegation, past and present, including senators who were also medical doctors. What were their specialties and their hometowns?
Send in your answer on a postcard addressed to:
Louisiana Life Bonus Question
110 Veterans Blvd., Suite 123
Metairie, LA 70005
Two winners will be drawn from among the correct answers. Each will receive an overnight stay for two at the recently expanded and re-modeled Paragon Casino and Resort in Marksville. Winners’ names will be announced in the January/February 2015 issue.
For our May/june issue, the question was:
There are three AMTRAK passenger trains that go through parts of Louisiana. What are their names and what are their final destinations?
The correct answer was:
City of New Orleans—Chicago; Sunset Limited—Los Angeles; Crescent—New York City
Juan Santa Marina- New Orleans
Andrea Sagers- Salt Lake City, Utah
ANSWERS TO THE QUESTIONS:
1.A 2.C 3.D 4.D 5.B
6.D 7.A 8.B 9.A 10.B
Score 10 points for each correct answer:
0-20 Consult your nearest library.
30-60 Begin by buying a good road map.
70-90 You should run for office.
100 You’re a candidate for a Ph.D. in Louisianaology.