Pork Stewed with Okra and Tomatoes
Makes 4 servings
- 1 pound boneless pork stew meat
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds okra, topped, tailed and sliced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup chicken stock
- coarse salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- hot sauce
- steamed rice
SEASON pork with salt and pepper. Add olive oil to a heavy casserole or dutch oven over medium heat. Add pork and brown on both sides. Add onion and garlic and cook until softened, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes, chicken stock and okra. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer until pork is cooked through and okra is tender, about 45 minutes.
SEASON with hot sauce and additional salt and pepper. Serve over steamed rice.